A New 12-Week Program for Prior Awareness in Action Course Participants
Registration Now Open
IJS is pleased to offer an exciting opportunity to continue and deepen your practice, for those who have previously participated in our program Awareness in Action: Cultivating Character Through Mindfulness and Middot.
Beginning Tuesday, October 5, Rabbi Marc Margolius will offer Awareness in Action II: Continued Practice in Mindfulness and Middot, a 12-week program engaging participants in mindfulness and middot practice, focusing on a single middah drawn from that week’s Torah portion. While Awareness in Action II will revisit some of the middot covered in Awareness in Action, it will primarily offer you an opportunity to apply the now-familiar three step mindfulness process to cultivate a new set of middot.
As a participant in Awareness in Action II, you’ll be able to join live weekly practice sessions led by Rabbi Margolius on 12 consecutive Tuesdays, beginning October 5, from 11:00 AM – 12:15 PM ET. For those who cannot attend a particular session, these will be recorded and available for viewing later.
Each live practice session will feature:
- A short teaching on a middah (spiritual/ethical quality) drawn from each week’s Torah portion
- A meditation or other contemplative practice for noticing the presence of this middah within us
- An opportunity for processing the middah within the safety of a small group
- A Q&A session
Prior to each Tuesday session, you will receive an email with the following material:
- A recap of the teaching on how the middah is derived from the weekly Torah portion
- Reflection questions for use in journaling and/or discussing with a chevruta or practice partner
- A set of focus phrases and suggested kabbalot (practices) for engaging with the middah over the course of the week
- Opportunities to engage in Jewish prayer and rituals to cultivate the middah
- Contemporary poetry which reflects the weekly middah
- A Spotify playlist with Jewish and secular music for reinforcing awareness of the middah
- All course materials will also be available on the course dashboard
Awareness in Action II
Register by September 30
Prerequisite: Awareness in Action: Cultivating Character Through Mindulness and Middot
Includes 12 weekly live sessions with Rabbi Marc Margolius
For student or group rates, please fill out this form:
Meet your teacher:
Rabbi Marc Margolius
Rabbi Marc Margolius directs programming for lay leaders and alumni of the IJS clergy leadership training program, as well as the Tikkun Middot Project, which integrates Jewish mindfulness with middot (character trait) practice. He hosts IJS’s daily mindfulness meditation sessions and teaches an online program, Awareness in Action: Cultivating Character through Mindfulness and Middot. Previously, Marc served as rabbi at West End Synagogue in Manhattan.
About the Institute for Jewish Spirituality
Since 1999, IJS has been a leader in teaching traditional and contemporary Jewish spiritual practices that cultivate mindfulness so that each of us might act with enriched wisdom, clarity, and compassion. These practices, grounded in Jewish values and thought, enable participants to develop important skills while strengthening leadership capacities, deepening their inner lives, and connecting more meaningfully with others, Judaism, and the sacred.